Having realistic goals is important. So is challenging yourself by pushing your limits. I decided that since I’ve never exceeded 900 words in a day, that I would do 1000 words per day this week. This is in addition to blogging and vlogging, and normal work obligations.
Here’s what I’ve learned about goals and challenges:
- If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. (Ripped from my high school agenda) This is so true. Not setting hard word counts for myself has done me no favors in terms of productivity. The same goes with any other measurable goal.
- Set measurable goals. You can’t plan for abstracts, which winds you back to point #1.
- Know your limits. Set some solid goals and figure out your own strengths and weaknesses. Then try again. It’s all perseverance and insight.
- Aspirations are not goals. Go back to the drawing board and create a plan of attack, preferably in goal-oriented form.
- Work hard, then work even harder. Everything is a function of the time and energy you put into it.
- Learn some project management principles, and apply them to your goals. Even a simple task keeper/to-do list on your cellphone helps.
Some words of wisdom.
Now, go watch my vlog. I talk about writing, editing, my cats and cooking chili. You’ll love my chili.